My Why: My Family.
I grew up – and still reside – in Bergen County, New Jersey. Both of my parents were born and raised in Europe (Italy & Croatia) and came to the United States when my mom was just 16 and my dad was 25. Growing up with two foreign parents was a lot of fun to say the least. The dictionary was a staple at our dinner table since someone was always challenging another as to how to say a word or what it meant. The laughs were endless and the memories are priceless.
My Love for Cooking
Since my parents both came from small villages, they predominantly ate what they grew. We ate fresh, simple foods that were prepared in a way that allowed the flavors to naturally come through; no need to bury them with condiments.
I come from a long list of amazing cooks (especially my father who was a chef and owned two restaurants), but I did not actually learn how to cook until I was married at 25. It’s hard to believe that it took me that long to get started, but there were always generations of fine cooks in the kitchen and I was very intimidated. Delicious dishes were always at my fingertips to enjoy, so why compete?
When I got married, I found myself calling my dad to ask a lot of questions, like if I should put the pasta in the water before it boils. Could you imagine the look on my father’s face? He is a gem and has always been so patient with me. Anytime we are in the kitchen and I want to try something new, knowing he can make it with his eyes closed, he allows me to have fun, grow and create something while he gently guides me.
Lucky in Love
My husband is my best friend. He is my happily ever after, my partner in crime and the one who makes me laugh. I’m also the mother to three imaginative, free-spirited and thoughtful children. Being a mom is definitely the most trying and difficult job, but the rewards are endless. The nourishment and support that my husband has provided me, combined with the growth and wisdom that my children have gifted me, have allowed me to say proudly that I am the person I am today because of them.
Some Fun and Quirky Facts About Me
- When I was 14 went to Lee Strausberg and attended class with some fancy people.., Scarlett Johansson, Rosario Dawson, Hayden Christensen.
- I love to sing! I took vocal lessons in the city, but I have a severe case of stage fright.
- I hate spiders with a passion – big ones, small ones, & everything in between.
- I love planning parties!! Maybe in another life I will be an event planner. I love nothing more than bringing family & friends together to love, laugh & eat!
- I want people to remember me for the impression I left on their heart.
- My favorite smells are my kids’ stinky toes & wood-burning fire.
- Chocolate is a part of my everyday life and I can handle scotch too well.